The Morris Triplets




Sunday, October 17, 2010

Scary Stuff!

As many of you know by this time, I have been admitted to Baptist hospital for further monitoring of the babies.  It all began on Friday of last week when I went in for my usual appointment hoping and praying to leave with good news, especially about Baby C.  Unfortunately, I left scared to death, and headed straight over to Baptist where I was told I would be admitted until the babies arrive.  The cause for increased concern is still over my little guy, Baby C.  Due to his growth seeming to lag behind the other 2 babies, my MD decided to do a doppler US to check the cord blood flow (amount of blood getting to placenta).  The sonographer in my MD office found what appeared to be Absent Diastolic Flow (in laymans terms, abnormal blood flow getting to baby) which they believe could be the cause of his slower growth pattern and sent me immediately to Baptist.  My MD had already contacted Dr Collins with Tennessee Maternal Fetal Medicine (oversees high risk pregnancies) who came in and met with me that night.  He decided to do his own US and sat with me for 2 hours on Friday night while he looked very closely at the anatomy and blood flow of all babies.  Thankfully, we received good news during this US that gave me a more optimistic outlook on the remainder of my pregnancy.  The sonographer at the hospital found "some forward diastolic flow" which is much better than "absent flow" (FYI: Reverse diastolic flow is critical and would mean delivery is necessary immediately, Absent flow is concerning and cause for monitoring").  This flow is not normal, but Dr. Collins was optimistic that it was not absent (which of course made me feel a lot better).  Following this US I left knowing that the anatomy of all 3 babies appears normal (even Baby C) and they have normal HR's.  The MD was optimistic that no delivery would need to be made this week, but said we would just take it a day at a time. 
When I returned to my room Friday night, my usual OB had also contacted Dr. Graham with the NICU to come give me some insight on what complications we could possibly be facing if the babies had to come this week.  At 27 weeks (which is where I am at this time) he told us that the babies would have a 90% chance of survival (which he states are very good odds).  He then went on to inform us of various other problems they could encounter, but said that every week that passes, these percentages would decrease (they are about 25% right now).  The best part of the discussion was where he told us about a set of triplets they had in the NICU that were delivered at 26 weeks and are now 9 weeks old and about 1 week away from going home!  This was obviously very encouraging for me to hear!
The following day I had the opportunity to visit the NICU.  The nurses were very nice and I was able to see the adorable, tiny babies who were doing well.  I did get to see the triplets and meet their parents who were very encouraging to me (she was put in hospital at 19 Weeks! and then delivered at 26!).  Technology today is amazing!
As of now...the babies have their HR's monitored every morning and every evening and they monitor my contractions.  So far, so good with the HR's which is a good sign that the cord flow is forward (MD said that abnormal HR pattern would indicate absent or reverse cord flow) and my contractions are occuring typical for someone with triplets at this point.  We will have a BPP (biophysical profile) on Tuesday to assess fluid levels, activity and respiration of all babies and another doppler US on Friday to check the cord flow. 
I feel so thankful to be where I am at this time.  I believe that changing doctors when I did was the best decision that we have made so far.  I still love my OB-Dr. Saig and am very confident with the skills of Dr. Collins (who sat with me for 2 hours during my first US on Friday night).  The nurses are wonderful and also go on and on about how excellent Dr. Collins and the entire TMFM group is. 
Needless to say, Friday night and Saturday morning were pretty tough.  I am feeling much more encouraged at this time and know that this is totally out of my control.  God has a plan, as I know he has with my entire pregnancy, and I am constantly reminding myself that his plan is much better than mine could ever be.  There is no need for me to worry (although this is easier said than done) when God is in control anyways.  Although I do not want these babies to be born this week (or in the next 4 weeks for that matter), if that has to happen, I have to trust that is God's plan and he will take care of my precious babies. 
Thank you all for your prayers so far and continue to remember us over the next few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. We're praying for all of you and thinking about you!

    Love,
    Justin and Sarah

    ReplyDelete